#24 - It’s Not Enough

Normally I don’t bat an eye with grocery discount announcements…

So why does this one stick out?

***

In honor of the upcoming 4th of July weekend, I saw a 10% off discount in a grocery ad that was intended for the military, police, firefighters and first responders. Of course, I’ve got mixed feelings about the police (especially in recent years) - but at least for the others, it seriously made me think.

These are the people who have sworn to protect us, each in their own way. We have the freedom to protest and fight for even greater humanitarian rights because of them. We are safe because of them. Many of them have sacrificed their time, their strength, their peace of mind, their emotional well-being, and sometimes even their lives, for the greater good of all.

And the best we can give back to them is a goddamn 10% discount at a grocery store?!

It’s not enough… it can’t be.

I think about Mr. Hobbit now, and I wonder what he had to do and/or sacrifice to make it this far. I wonder about the same for all other veterans I know of, along with firefighters, first responders, and even the doctors and nurses who have been carrying us all through the pandemic this whole time. We aren’t doing enough for them. For any of them.

It hurts. I want to do more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#31 - Lovable

#1 - Intro

#36 - The Last Red Thread