#1 - Intro

"What is a Kashmirican?"
Glad you asked. 🙂

It's a word I made up to describe my ethnic and cultural background in a tiny nutshell. I was born and raised in the U.S., but both of my parents come from Kashmir - the northern part of India. We're known as Kashmiris, or (more specifically) Kashmiri Pandits. Hence, I'm a Kashmiri-American, or Kashmirican.

There's not too many of us around wherever you go, we're all kinda spread out across the world. So chances are, you know who I am. Or you may not. It's all right either way. 😇

"Why don't you just call yourself an Asian American, or an Indian American?"

Hmm... because I like my made-up term better. I mean, technically I'm labeled an Asian American, but then people tell me I'm not Asian because I don't look Chinese or Japanese or like any other "stereotypical Asian" that comes to mind with most Americans. And I am an Indian-origin American, but I feel like that alone isn't enough because "Native American" comes to mind whenever I say I'm an Indian American. So Kashmirican works fine for me. It's specific enough for others not to get too confused about my background, plus it's a great conversation starter for those who don't know anything about Kashmir and are genuinely curious.

Anyway, that's just one small part of me. Ta-da! 😄 Any questions?

Comments

  1. Thanks for the neologue (new word) you’ve gifted this wide wonderful goofy world.
    As you are aware, language (meaning from words, visuals and sounds, even those visuals and / or sounds not recorded in those lexical lists we call “glossary,” “dictionary,” such as a STOP sign or slang talk one’s more formal affiliates are clueless) requires consensus in order for that language to be useful between two parties. If one of the parties does not accept the meaning then regardlessvthe number of times I repeat ‘twreptode’ that word will not be recognized as meaning. No agreement, consensus of meaning, betwixt 2 parties, the word-form cannot be used in dialog.
    So when i meet another person with the same wonderful provenance of yourself I have been gifted with a satisfactory spot-on identifier.
    Again, Thank You, for your gift to the world. The more gifts for understanding one another the more powerful seeds for sharing not only our commonality but what allows us to be sweetly different.
    Gratefully
    don lively

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, I appreciate it! 😄🙏🏻❤️

      Sometimes when “conventional” words are inadequate in describing something (or someone), I like to come up with a new word for it. And when even that is inadequate, I find music to define it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#31 - Lovable

#36 - The Last Red Thread